20 December 2006

Fighting for Your Man











Let me admit something big here in my guest post that I hope will not come back to haunt me in my own space: I have yet to be in a stable long-term relationship. Yes, I have two kids, but flies can have offspring and flies have never seen one episode of Dr. Phil. So the biological ability to have children means nothing in the long run of long-term stuff. They are, I suppose, my longest relationships next to the 38-year on-off relationship I've been having with my parents.


I think the main reason I don't stay in relationships very long is because I have no desire to kick butt or get my butt kicked over whose turn is it to fill the cars with gas. I'm not fighting over who lost the ATM card. I have no beef with socks on the floor. My nonchalance is very often mistaken for a distant, noncaring attitude. It's not that I don't care, I'm only confused why these things are mistaken for such a big effing deal and why you would think I don't love you just because I didn't yell at you for coming home from the office at 3 a.m. You said you had to work late, I believed you, I ordered a pizza, watched two movies and went to bed at midnight.

You weren't shot at with any caliber gun and your clothes were still in the closet (or on the floor of the bathroom, if that's your preferred storage location) when you tiptoed in the door after seven or eight cocktails. It was bidness, you proclaimed in harmony with my light snoring, challenging me to say anything different. I shifted slightly in my sleep, asked only that you brush your teeth before passing out in the bed next to me.

When I awoke, you were gone. Closet empty, bathroom floor wet and bacteria-filled. You were crushed that I cared not enough to accuse you of hanging out with the office slut. You thought I thought you weren't attractive enough for the office slut and you were insulted. Once again, I've ruined a relationship by never raising my voice.

Calling my sister, I don't even ask her what's wrong with me. I know what she's going to say. She'll quote the Bible then tell me I'm sleeping with the wrong kind of man. Neither of us has any idea of the kind of man I should be sleeping with, but so far, I'm zero for one hundred on my other choices.

I think next time I shall try wearing a watch. So I can keep track of time more diligently. When you are one minute late, I shall let you know that immediately and in a very loud voice. Men seem to like that. When you come home drunk and missing your underwear, I perhaps will yell things like: Do you think I'm stupid?

The neighbors will tell the police as you are placed in the back of the cruiser ("Watch your head, sir.") that you and I fight constantly. That I provoke you into hitting me. That you hit me in front of my kids. I will kiss you goodbye and promise to bail you out in an hour. You tell me to leave you in jail because the bail money is rent money. I tearfully (tears are good, right? Tears are emotional) ask the officer to release you to me. That you didn't mean it. It's just that, last time around, you thought I didn't care about you because I didn't yell enough and accuse you of lying to me enough, so I was giving us another try tonight and who knew the police would respond so quickly to one little 9-1-1 call? How did they get past the guards? This is, you know, a gated community.

From your cell, you use your one phone call to ask me to marry you. I scream into my cell phone, "That's more like it, motherfucker!"

My throat is sore from all this yelling and I think I'm showing signs of having had a small stroke. But if this is what it takes to get and finally keep a man around, no more calm and mellow and seeking a peaceful center for me. Bring it on, man. Bring. It. On.


Fringes

24 comments:

mist1 said...

I used to think something was wrong with me. Why can't I have a committed relationship?

Then, I realized that I am in one. I am committed to my wardrobe. Entirely. Every facet. From thongs to jeans to shoes. I love it. Makes me look good and vice versa. I introduce new items to keep things spicy. I lavish attention on my wardrobe.

I want to be buried with all my clothing and accessories. If I can't wear them, no one can.

fringes said...

I think I'm committed to the idea of becoming that elderly spicy independent old woman. In your forties, you're pitiful. In your eighties, you're spicy and independent.

The CEO said...

You had me at the calm centered part. With the socks on the floor. I'm still doing the cooking, and please, do NOT play with my knives, or put them in the dishwasher. You re responsible for the plumbing. As for the sex, yes.

fringes said...

You had me at you're doing the cooking. Plumbers are found in the yellow pages, yo.

The CEO said...

Tonight, we're having home made tomato soup, then a roast beef, squash baked in amaretto and cocoa, and fried potatoes, a salad, and ice cream for desert. Bring a couple of bottles of red wine hone for dessert.
And then we're putting the kids to bed early.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

I, too, let a ton of stuff slide that other women don't. I really don't care about having clothes on the floor; mine end up there, too, although usually starting from somewhere else, like the overflowing laundry basket of clean clothes. As for yelling when he's late due to work...well, if I don't trust you, then I don't need to be with you; I'm not accusing without good reason;>

CharmingDriver said...

In my first marriage I was very, very young and convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that a) I was always, without question, right and b) a fight lacking in raised voices and personal attacks was somehow without ''passion''. In other words, if we had dated, I would have driven you crazy by forcing my crazy on you. Which is why my first marriage didn't last although we are good friends now.

If a person (like say, me) is so immature that their expectations of a relationship are based on drama and attacks, they aren't worth the time. I thank {unknown deity} that I found Deels because the combination of my growing the hell up and his overall zen has made for a great match.

In other words, if within a date or two you feel less infatuated and more like you're taking on another kid to raise RUN don't walk away. Single and sane beats the hell out of coupled and crazy any day of the week.

PS I LOVE YOUR BLOG but have thus far been too shy to comment. Thank you so much for visiting and commenting on mine.

briliantdonkey said...

Awesome post fringes as usual. At 38 and single, I know exactly where you are coming from but don't let it get to you. It is kind of odd that if you say to someone 'I am 25, 28,30,and single you get the 'thats just weird what is wrong with you' look. IF you say you are 25 and divorced once or twice its all good.

BD

fringes said...

Ceo, you're both cracking me up and scaring me at the same time. But that sounds like a lovely evening.

woo-woo, yep. I trust in the beginning. I don't ask a lot of questions. Some men need the accusations to feel wanted. Yikes.

Charming, thanks for delurking! Let me use another exclamation mark in your honor: !! I love your blog, too, and I'm in love with Deels.

Don't get me wrong, I've forced a little crazy on people in my day, but now it's all about the zen.

BD, you are so right! Never married, strange look. Three divorces, at least someone wanted you. Heh. Life is hilarious.

The CEO said...

I made you some basil pesto for a dip and here's a variety of crackers, plus I warmed a wheel of brie with almonds embedded for yo while you're working over here today. I'm leaving you some steak sandwiches I made for you with some filet I had. I just sauteed up some onions and mushrooms and toasted up a large kaiser roll. I cut it up into small bite size pieces so you could sit and work and eat. There's also a six pack of your favorite beer in the fridge.

And, the pizza will arrive around 3:00 pm this afternoon for you to munch. See you tonight! Have a great day. I'm going back to work now.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you have finally discovered that the secret to a healthy, long-lasting relationship is a THREE-way street: you, your man and local law enforcement! If you don't care enough to involve the police in your relationship then you obviously just don't care.

Nothing says I love you like a shot of mace in the face.

If you need a refresher from time to time - in order to keep your relationship skills sharp - I've found the Jerry Springer Show to be most helpful in this regard.

Good luck! Now go find yourself a man and start screaming!

fringes said...

CEO, thanks for lunch.

Bice, perhaps ALL CAPS in a personals ad will get things started on the right track. As a special touch, I should include my own mug shot.

Anonymous said...

See now your thinking like a winner!

SBF SEEKS MAN NOT AFRAID TO LET HIS FISTS DO THE TALKING FOR HIM. MUST LOVE: SCREAMING, SWEARING, UNEMPLOYMENT, BEING DRUNK BEFORE 8AM, NASCAR, JOHN DENVER, COMMUNITY SERVICE & COUNTY LOCKUP. PLEASE SEND MUGSHOT TO...

The CEO said...

DON'T YOU PICK ON JOHN DENVER!

fringes said...

Othur-me busted me. I love Cops. I went searching on the Cops Web site for the perfect pic to this post, but came up empty.

Bice has been reading my archives! I love me some John Denver. Take Me Home indeed.

CEO, calm down. Bice's description was accurate except for the unemployed part. Must. Have. Unblemished. Credit. Must. Not. Blink. At. $100. Bar. Tab.

The CEO said...

I was just auditioning. I'm not used to all caps. Naturally, I love John Denver. Sweet Surrender. Have another beer. I brought Sam Adams Black Lager, I couldn't bear to bring Lone Star.

Margaret said...

I care enough to scream AND bite, but not clean the bathroom.

fringes said...

Again, cleaning the bathroom is what the Yellow Pages are for, yo. A big shout out to Maria, Ana and Lucia. See you guys tomorrow!

Screaming and biting, you seem to have covered, Margaret. Next time, call the cops and that dickhead will send you flowers. Guaranteed.

Anonymous said...

"yet to be in a stable long-term relationship?" Isn't that one of the top ten warning signs....Whoops! Never mind. I was thinking of Cosmo's list of things to watch out for in *men.*
;-)

Actually, I thought a nonchalant attitude (generally described as being "laid back") was a plus. (The alternative to nonchalance being "drama")

Michael Thomas said...

I've got a mugshot to submit for your perusal, Bice.

To All - Thank you so much for visiting, everyone. I hope that all of you are enjoying Guest Blog Week. Stay tuned for Road Chick tomorrow. And feel free to stop back by after Guest Blog Week is over. I can be marginally entertaining once in awhile.

Fringes and Mist -
Really ticked off about the empty liquor cabinet - and the lack of comments regarding the wonderful billboard advertising that I created especially for you. These Guest Bloggers are SOOOOOO high on themselves.

LMAO - Enjoy, All. Dream True

Michael

Miranda said...

This post is hitting me a little too close to home. My spouse asked why I don't talk to him anymore and I said because I am tired of fighting and being angry with him. I would rather speak to him for thirty seconds and not be angry than to spend an afternoon with him and plot how not to end up on Cops myself.

He, apparently, equates drama with love.

So, I am 33 years old. I have been with the same man since I was 21. And I am no closer to finding a state of relationship zen.

Anonymous said...

Michael, Mist drank it all before I got here. I only ate the stuff CEO dropped by before going to work.

Larry, that is indeed one of the warning signs. Why do you think I'm still single? But it's all good. Day old bread with honey butter and a little lovin' from the oven is just as tasty as any other loaf.

Miranda, sweetie, hang in there. I don't know what else to say. Maybe your zen will be catching.

mist1 said...

How come nobody restocked the liquor? I'm going back to my blog.

Anonymous said...

We never run out of liquor at the fringe, Mist. Stop by my place first before going home.