05 February 2007

Super Bowl Notes

I was rooting for the Bears, but not to the point of anxiety. Is it me, or are the Superbowls getting more boring every year for the last three years or so? That missed extra point cost me $400. FUVinateri. This is the first year that I can say that the commercials were as boring as the game. Definitely not up to the normal standards. I actually watched the halftime show for the first time in forever. Not because I like Prince, but more for the reason that people watch Nascar - like waiting for a trainwreck. I had this macabre desire to see someone light up like a floodlight when all that rain electrocuted someone. It was a Michael Jackson Hair Fire waiting to happen. I don't know if it's accurate, but I was told that the odds placed on Hester running the first kick back were 1200 to one. A hundred dollar bet would have gotten you a great down payment on a new house. The over and under on Billy Joel and the length of the National Anthem was 1 min, 44 sec. Yes, people make these bets. He must not like the rain. The anthem ended at 1 min 30 sec. Now Peyton has his ring. Can we stop hearing about it now?

This may rub some folks wrong, but have you ever seen Corporate America steal so much marketing face time over the fact that both coaches were black? I was absolutely disgusted about the three ring circus they made out of that. The commercials and commentary that wouldn’t let the subject go did more than anything to demean and diminish the actual accomplishments. Those two coaches deserved to be there. Dungy probably should have been to the Big One far earlier than this. What gives the media and corporate America the right to usurp those accomplishments and exploit the situation as a money making feel good opportunity. Sick, very sick. Dungy himself stated that while he and Lovey Smith were the first coaches to do it, that they were by far not the first ones capable of it. So the Superbowl is over. We have a full year to fill with hopes that it might actually be an interesting game next year. Or at least the commercials.

Michael

6 comments:

Q said...

Effing Peyton Manning...

briliantdonkey said...

I am not really sure what it was this year, but I really was not nearly as 'into' the game as I usually am. I could care less about either team, but that doesn't usually matter one bit. Normally I am hyped up no matter who is playing but in this case for some odd reason I was just 'blah'. I am kind of glad to see Payton get one. Like him or hate him, it would be a shame if he ended his career being in the Manning/charles barkley mode. VERY happy it happened for Dungy. Once in a while nice guys don't finish last.

BD

Susan said...

game = boo

That's all I have to say about that bs.

Anonymous said...

michael, i do read you blog , just rarely if ever comment. i can't really comment on the game but i will comment on what you said obout the fact that both coaches were black being hyped by the media. why the hell should that matter, does their skin color make their accomplishments any more or less impressive? i grew up on air force bases surrounded by people of different races and have always been dumbfounded by the way some people make such a big deal about skin color. i honestly don't get it. in a way i wish we would all interbreed so much that there is only one color, one race. on the other hand maybe the media recognized that it was going to be a boring game and were struggling to come up with something, anything to say.

Michael Thomas said...

BD - We;re on the same sheet of music - as usual.
Q - It takes offense, defense, and special teams to win a game. But probably most important - offense. That can't be the one out of three that you left back at Soldier Stadium.
Susan - I concur.
Heather - There may be a point that it becomes reverse racism at times. I was in the military and was actually subjected to that at times. Also, don't know if you caught my comment on 'chick's post, but I get the feeling you know me from IRL. What's up with that? Email me if you get the chance.
Cardiac(dot)fantasies(at)gmail(dot)com.

Anonymous said...

Last year's game stunk, this year should be pretty good!