19 February 2007

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Ladies, please grab your most somber black dress. And the hat with the little black veil. Men, your black tuxedoes, please.

I turned forty one yesterday. I’ll be climbing into the grave today. My birthday passed with nary a ripple on the surface of the pond. Like it didn’t happen. Like I didn’t even exist.

I got a happy birthday, honey from the Sigo because we went to bed after midnight on Saturday night. Along about 2 in the afternoon on Sunday, I finally had to say something to the Sigo so she could have my two kids (5yrs, 3yrs) say happy birthday to Poppa. My mom called. My in laws? – They have a custom, whenever anyone in the clan has a birthday, that it’s a race to wish the person a happy birthday. They’ll wake you up at 5 am. They’ll cheat and call back after midnight. Its fun. It makes birthdays a big deal. This is my adopted family. The people that I’d choose to hang out with over my own family. I got a text message and a phone call. The Sigo got defensive. So be it. I had to shut myself in the bedroom twice yesterday so I didn’t blow up in anger and frustration. We went to bed last night. The Sigo said sorry that she’d done so lousy for my birthday this year. I chose to keep my mouth shut. Lousy doesn’t approach the extent of the situation. I got an “apology” BJ before I went to sleep. Yeah, that’ll cover it, too. Sure. Right. It isn’t important enough to dress sexy or something and pretend we still have some fire there once a year. No, not her.

So I’m dressing in my formals. I’m checking the obituaries this morning just in case I’m dead and no one had the common courtesy to notify me. In that I’m usually the last one to know, this would not be too much of a surprise.

As we grow up, we rarely imagine ourselves as moving through life without making a difference to anyone or anything. Slipping in to death, our miserable excuse for life over, sliding beneath the water without a single ripple. Everyone wants to believe that their lives are, if not important, then at the very least meaningful to some extent. But what do you do when it’s happening, and you don’t know a way to change it?

It’s going to be a bad one when you tell your Sigo out loud “I’m an emotional train wreck today” and she acts like you didn’t say a thing. And yet, I tell that to a couple of my closer “friends” online here in the old blogosphere, and they’re immediately concerned, what’s causing it, you okay, what can I do. I’m thinking that maybe I should have emailed here. That way she could have a response without any major effort.

The last time she got this apathetic, so flaming disregarding of us as a couple, and me, I ended up finding the companionship, caring, passion, and flame of life somewhere else. But she’s winning. Slowly but surely, she’s dragging me into the vortex of apathy. It’s happening already. I’m losing my hopes, my dreams, and the spark of life I used to have. I’ll be a fucking zombie soon. We’ll have a perfect marriage then. Because neither of us will give enough of a shit about anything to actually fight over something. Don’t bother listening for the sound of my passing. When the bell tolls, it will be ringing for someone else. I’ll already be gone.

Michael


10 comments:

briliantdonkey said...

Wow that sounds bad, but in a 'glass is half full' notion, you wrote quite well about it. That helps oohhhhh NOT at all I know. Anyywhoooo, happy Belated birthday! Better days ahead I am sure.

BD

mist1 said...

Sorry I missed the birthday. Luckily, I look fabulous in black.

heather said...

check your e-mail! and change your profile to show your birthday! and cheer up! and get your ass outta the grave! your gonna ruin your party clothes! you ~know~ mist is gonna need some more custom flogs before long and i don't work with leather! stop by the bar, the shots are on the house. the good stuff, not the bar rag crap. and don't make me yell at you again. it's not nice and i don't like doing it.
ps, piss on it, did you ~really~ want to be reminded of another year passing anyway?

heather said...

i just realised that our profiles don't show our birthdates, just our signs and our chinese year of birth thingy so skip that part. keep the rest

Editor said...

Sounds like you had a really rough birthday, but, for what it's worth, I agree with BD with the glass half full deal. I mean really, you DID get a blowjob out of the deal. Is it really that bad, or am I just half drunk and horny? Wait. Don't answer that...

Susan said...

Aaron is just drunk and horny. Trust me, I watched him drink last night for awhile and if he went home with anyone it was a short, male teacher. Lovely image for first in the am, eh?


Happy belated birthday, darlin. Here's the best internet bj you can get.

(((blow..))

xo,
s

Michael Thomas said...

BD - the whole idea of "the glass is half full" leads to the mistaken impression that the glass is going to be more full shortly. Sorry, but as entropy and evaporation increase, that glass is only going to get more empty.
MIST - My, you do look fabulous in black. The racy cocktail dress might be a wee bit much for the graveyard, though. You'll be dancing a Watusi on someone's grave
Heather - Birthday is the 18th. Blogger's astrologists are all screwed up, listing me as a pisces, as pisces begins on 19 February. No doubt that I'm an aquarian with strong pisces influence. Those damn water signs.
Aaron - I'm starting to wonder what really goes on in that cubicle of yours. But I have back issues of Swank if you run out of material
Ariel - That's the nicest BJ I've had online in a long time. So good I may have to go find someone to Cyber tonight.

Roadchick said...

Well, this is a little embarrassing...the 'chick is usually only a day late and several dollars short but evidently completely missed the boat this time.

Happy belated birthday!!!

The 'chick has to agree with Mist - she also looks fabulous in black. However, she'd really rather wear it to a club, not a funeral. Funerals make her look like that blonde chick off CSI: Miami. Not that that's a bad thing.

fringes said...

I'm sorry about the worst birthday ever. But at least now I know for next year when your birthday is. I love birthdays. Even other people's.

Hey, I know what I can get you! A puppy! His name is Elliott.

Michael Thomas said...

'chick - now I'm REALLY wondering what you look like.

Fringes - Love to, Hon. Even better as a fiat accompli on the Sigo. But I still detest Chows. Says nothing about the owner, but it's like having a cow for a pet. Both the Cow and the Chow were bred for food. Whatcha gonna do??