06 September 2006

The Other Shoe is Dropping

 

         

               If you’ve been keeping up (not much of a challenge), the weekend before Labor Day Weekend “ T ”, (the Sigo (significant other)) and  bailed one of her friends out or a real bad spot, and essentially moved an entire house full of crap in two days between just the three of us.  She has this lovely handmade bedroom set with the Texas Star in aged metal hammered in to about every open spot you could imagine, and I think that truly, if there was anything thinner than a four by four on that 6 pc set, it’s because the guy who put it together just missed it. 

 

     So I lose an entire weekend, every bone in my body aches, as well as every muscle, even the ones I forgot I ever had.  No Good Deed Goes Unpunished, in this world of ours.

 

     Oh yeah, it gets better.  I get up Wednesday, sinuses packed like the mover had extra styro packing peanuts and decided to fill every available sinus cavity in my entire head with them using a hydraulic jackhammer. Liquids jetting uncontrollably and in an entirely unpredictable manner out my back end.  I go to work.  You have to understand, I have missed maybe 5 days sick time in the last ten years.  That’s just me.  My old man was like that, only he missed maybe a week in a forty year career, and only at the end of it.  His work ethic rubbed off and has held me in good stead, and taken me good places.  Thanks, Pop.  Anyhoo, I go to work and last like two hours.  I go home and try to sleep it off.  Body aching has changed to that Wish you were dead, can’t stretch it out, can’t get ANY comfortable position muscle ache that portends a usually nasty flu virus. 

 

SWEET!

 

     By Wednesday night, T and I and both the 5 year old and the 3 year old are just about down for the count.  She calls in sick and takes kids to Doc.  I make it thru half the day, then come home to spend the next four or five hours with the kids.  Do you have kids, or have you had some grow up close to you?  Let me clue you in.  Kids under the age of 10 have to be half dead before they slow down.  They’ll get whiny, cranky, and every other “y” that you can think of, but slow down and take a break doesn’t fall into that category.

I just thought I was tired before.  Come 8:00PM, I am ready to lovingly wring their scrawny little necks and tie them to a tree outside with a gag for mosquito bait.  After sending them to bed for the fourth or fifth time (no, THEY aren’t tired at all) looks up at me and says “I love you Poppa.” The way my body was rebelling certainly lessened the impact that that one phrase should have had on me.

 

     Friday I show up and leave within the hour.  My boss is decidedly annoyed at me, despite past record of no illness.  I try to tell him that this pisses me off and is as unusual for me as it is for him.  He believes it, I think, as well he should.  I hate this.

 

     The weekend progresses, and we all get worse before getting better.  We left the house once each day for necessities.  The 5 year old is feeling it so bad now that he just wants to sleep in the afternoon.  Not even the cartoons can keep him up.

 

     Monday afternoon arrives, I feel almost human again.  I essentially had a four day weekend, and lived through every miserable minute of it. 

 

SWEET

 

     Two precious weekends in a row, shot to hell.  They say good things and bad things both happen in threes.  The other shoe is dropping, ready to close out the dark Triad.  I hear it coming, and I’m really worried about where it is going to hit.

 

Michael

 

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

M, Read your entire 'blog' this afternoon. I got 'hooked' on "Waiter Rant" too. You have some interesting ideas on the sexes and labeling. While I do not neccessarily agree with you,I can understand the reasoning behind them. Background, experience, and age are, to me,a major part of the equasion. For example; I am a 55 yr old female in my 4th marraige, my honey is a 58 yr old male in his 6th union! From experience we have learned being best freinds is #1. We talk about EVERYTHING - when we do not agree - we agree to disagree, or compromise. For example; oldest daughter seperated from spouse a few years ago, Hubby gave her a side arm for protection against pending X w/o my knowledge. To me this was a potential diaster due to the emotions involved, when I discovered this we discussed it - he relized the dangers involved and requested the weapon be returned immediatly and replaced with a cell phone. Next sex and intamcy are two different entities. Sex is "getting one's rocks off", intamcy is the tie that binds. As for not speaking, to me that is playing games. Genuine relationships are about honesty and trust ='s love. Playing games is immature and detrimental to any relationship. I hope I am accuratly conveing how experience, background, and maturity all tie into this. We have been together now for 15 yrs. Thay have been the best of our lives, we love, live, laugh, cry, and muddle through sometimes. But we endure knowing we are totaly committed to each other. We are both independent types, but we manage to find our grounding point each and every day. Manuals are for those who are insecure in their relationship - my opinion - not meant as a put down. Good luck, keep up the writing & I will continue to read.

Michael Thomas said...

I find that the entries that I feel are my best are . . . ahhhhh, I just think I work better with irony, self satire, and taking a hard but more humorous look at the things we all take for granted every day. Here and in daily life, I get better results by poking fun at myself than targeting others. And honestly, my first line of reaction/defense in any situation that is getting to serious is to crack a joke and laugh. Probably not the most mature response, but in the end, I'd rather laugh at my life than drown myself crying. Now, I don't know if this was any kind of response to your comment - (Always appreciated by the way) but that is the thought process you just lit off.

Anonymous said...

Followed you here from Rebecca's Writing Blind. If you are indeed in Houston, then we are neighbors. If you live near NASA, we're in each other's backyard. Nice blog you have here. That blue font is very bright.

Michael Thomas said...

The blue defaults when I post by email. We're very close, if not in the backyard, in Pearland. I'm glad you enjoy the blog.
Sometimes I think my blog is enjoyable to read, but not thought evoking enough for comments, as the visitor to comment ratio is very low. I tend to wander, too. Heh heh. Weather looks to be good this weekend. Enjoy.

Michael

Anonymous said...

Don't measure enjoyability of your blog by the comments. That's a paved road to heartache. Just write what you feel and be glad when one person joins in the fray from time to time. If you are determined to increase your visibility and comment count, try leaving lots of comments on other blogs. People will follow you here eventually.

Michael Thomas said...

Fringes,
Honestly not so much concerned about comment count, but when people take the time to visit, I do want them to enjoy the read.